Clinical Trials Resource Unit
The Clinical Trials Resource Unit (CTRU) is available to support all approved clinical trials taking place in St. Luke's Hospital. It provides some core administrative services including data management and statistical support.
Director: Prof. John Armstrong, Consultant Radiation Oncologist.
The Clinical Trials Resource Unit also provides office space for trial development, management, publication preparation, etc. This can be booked, as required.
Our current portfolio includes trials in prostate, lung, spinal cord compression, head and neck, and breast cancer areas. We also have some translational studies in progress.
- A randomised trial comparing the bladder volume consistency achieved with two bladder-filling protocols in prostate conformal radiotherapy. ICORG 05-04.
- A prospective phase II dose escalation trial using IMRT and IGRT for T1a-T3c, N0, M0 prostate cancer. ICORG 08-17.
- CHHiP Conventional or hypofractionated high dose intensity modulated radiotherapy prostate cancer. ICORG 08-18.
- Radiation dose escalation for non-small cell lung cancer using hypofractionated 3-dimensional conformal radiation therapy. ICORG 99-09.
- Prospective evaluation of PET-CT scan in patients with non-operable or non-resectable NSCLC treated by radical 3-DCRT. ICORG 06-35.
- A clinical trial using 3-DCRT to reduce the toxicity of palliative radiation for lung cancer. ICORG 06-34.
- Spinal Cord Compression Trials
- A randomised phase III trial of two fractionation schemes in the treatment of malignant spinal cord compression. ICORG 05-03.
- A phase II trial evaluating the efficacy of a radio-biological based re-irradiation strategy for patients with malignant spinal cord compression. ICORG 07-11.
Head and Neck Trials
- A prospective randomised controlled clinical trial to evaluate standard versus customised headrests for head and neck radiotherapy patients. ICORG 08-09.
- Phase II randomised clinical trial of accelerated partial breast irradiation (APBI) comparing 3-dimensional conformal radiation therapy and multi-catheter interstitial brachytherapy. ICORG 06-33.
- NSABP B-39. A randomised phase III study of conventional whole breast irradiation (WBI) versus partial breast irradiation (PBI) for women with stage 0, I or II breast cancer. ICORG 08-06.
- Proteomic analysis of combined hormonal therapy and radiation therapy of intermediate risk localised prostate cancer.ICORG 06-15.
- Collaborative project on potential serum markers for malignant melanoma, metastatic breast, advanced lung, pancreatic carcinoma and colorectal cancer. ICORG 07-12.